This report provides a detailed data and audience analysis of Content Delivery Network services segment (CDN), with detailed analysis of pricing (streaming audio, video, download and advertising), streaming infrastructure, R&D initiatives, market share by CDN, revenue, MRR (monthly recurring revenue), an analysis of Flash pricing and server deployment and streaming media format share.
- Combined commercial market value (backhaul provisioning, retail contracts) for streaming audio, video, streaming audio and video advertising, download media and entertainment is estimated at between $385 million to $452 million in 2005
- Total retail bandwidth contracts (including the comparable costs to deliver streams from self hosting networks and sites such as AOL, Real Networks and Yahoo, which is included to yield commercial market value) is estimated at between $175 and $258 million in 2005
- The comparable figures for 2004 were between $117 million and $235 million
- It's estimated that bandwidth billing makes up 60% - 80% of the total costs associated with delivering streaming content (other components include storage, global edge delivery, DRM wrappers, VIP tech support, encoding and backend integration services)
- There are 9,600 streaming media servers in deployment across seven major CDNs analyzed in this report
The break out of streaming traffic delivered by format (as reported by the CDN specialists) includes Windows Media at 58.6%, Flash at 19+%, MP3 at 7.1%, Quicktime at 6% and Real Networks at 5.8% (excluding download media)